Monday, June 1, 2009

Comparing Budget Airlines plying the Singapore-Manila route

After 4 months, I once again had the opportunity go back home to complete an unfinished business and a little R&R since I'll have a new title, new employer and bigger but same critical responsibility when I get back.

During midflight I had already consumed the onboard magazine and in order to fight the looming boredom I decided to write a comparison between the two budget Airlines plying the Singapore-Manila route, Cebu Pacific owned by the Gokongwei's and JetStar of Qantas Airlines. I have opted not to include Tiger Airways as I haven't used their service and lands in Diosdado Macapagal International Airport (DMIA) which is located in Subic, Pampanga around 3 hours away from Manila.

This is a personal comparison based on my experience and in no way conclusive and cannot be used to rate both Airlines in general.

*Cebu Pacific*
Cebu Pacific

  • Depart at Changi Budget Terminal (Super slow check in and checkout)
  • Arrive at NAIA Terminal 3 (better facilities and less human traffic)
  • Cheaper seat reservation at S$8 for near exit areas and S$4 regular seat
  • 15Kgs check in baggage allowed
  • Connecting flights to provincial operation
  • Airbus A319 / A320
  • Almost always late

*JetStar*
JetStar

  • Depart at Changi Terminal 2
  • Arrive at NAIA Terminal 1 (busier)
  • Seat reservation at S$20
  • Strict only 2 hand carry bags
  • 20Kgs check in baggage allowed
  • Airbus A319 / A320

I am not sure if this is similar to other airports but Terminal 3 of Ninoy Aquino International is now allowing bottled water/H2O from outside. I was able to bring a 500ml bottled water into to the plane, enough to keep me hydrated during the flight.

 

Update:

As one of the comment pointed out, Cebu Pacific has been doing a good job lately and I agree. We will also add a review of Airphil Express once we tried their service or if somebody has already use it, you are welcome to provide a feedback on how good/bad their service/experience.

1 comment:

  1. Just to comment on CebPac being almost always late, don't think it's true these days. My flights arrive earlier. Their on-time performance to date is around 88%, which is above the industry standard of 85%.

    ReplyDelete