According to a BBC report, Incheon International Airport (Seoul) is named the traveller's favourite after being voted the World's Best Airport in the 2009 World Airport Awards. Hong Kong international airport came second place displacing Singapore's Changi Airport, rank third, which last year's rank is second.
Skytrax, a British-based consultancy group, said that the voting was very close between the top three airports, and at one point it thought there would be a dead-heat. Hong Kong won the award last year.
The agency interviewed 8.6 million passengers at 190 airports about their experiences, from check-in, departures, transfers, through to arrivals
Skytrax CEO, Edward Plaisted, said that Incheon had been "in the global top five ranking for the World Airport Awards during the past five to six years, and it is a great achievement for them to secure this premier mark of customer satisfaction."Regional Awards:
- Cape Town was named the best airport in Africa
- Zurich in Europe
- Tel Aviv winning the award for the Middle East
- Dallas/Fort Worth came top in North America
- Lima in South America
- Panama in Central America.
- Dubai had the best duty free shopping
- Hong Kong the best dining
- Helsinki the best baggage delivery
- Kansai in Japan the "cleanest airport washrooms".
Heathrow airport in London did not figure in the awards. However, it does merit "three stars" in the Skytrax consultancy rankings, along with airports such as Abu Dhabi, Bangkok and Johannesburg.