If you're a Filipino, between 10-18 year old, currently living in Singapore, and good at Public speaking, this is you chance to showcase you’re speaking talent.
In public speaking, as in any form of communication, there are five basic elements, often expressed as "who is saying what to whom using what medium with what effects?" The purpose of public speaking can range from simply transmitting information, to motivating people to act, to simply telling a story. Good orators should be able to change the emotions of their listeners, not just inform them.
Theme: Filipinos – Free and Responsible New Heroes
- An elimination round to select the top 5 contestants is scheduled on May 28, 2011 from 2 pm to 6 pm. Venue is at High Reach Center, 21 Tan Quee Lan Street #02-06 Heritage Place opposite Bugis Junction off North Bridge Road.
- Participants may select a declamation or oratorical piece of their choice either in English or Filipino. The choice piece of the contestant for the elimination round need not necessarily reflect the theme of the PIDC 2011 celebrations but must not exceed 5 minutes of delivery time.
- To register for the elimination round on May 28, 2011, please register by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details on or before May 27, 2011 –
Preferred Email Address:
Title of Piece to be delivered:
Language (English or Filipino):
- Filipinos by citizenship, ethnicity, affinity or interest (e.g. a Singaporean who has a heart for Filipinos) may join. The contest is limited to those belonging to the 10 – 18 years age group.
- Criteria for judging – Originality & Creativity 20%
Confidence, Stage Presence, & Style 30%
Voice Projection 25%
Speech Clarity 25%
- The selected 5 finalists will be allowed to choose their preferred contest piece from a selection of pieces provided by the committee, which will include both English and Filipino declamation and oratorical pieces. They will perform their pieces during the PIDC Grand Fiesta 2011, Philippine Independence Day Celebrations at the Hong Lim Park on June 12.
- All contestants are encouraged to be in a Filipiniana Attire and are requested to be at Hong Lim Park near the stage area on June 12 by 10:00 am (time). Bring spare daily wear clothes.
- Decision of the board of judges is final.
- Awarding of the following prizes will be held on the same day at the same venue:
Best Orator: Trophy + Round Trip Ticket to the Philippines
Featured Winner in the PIDC Singapore Website
HOLIDAY PROGRAMME VOUCHER -
FREE COURSE worth $500 from HighReach Educational Centre
1st Runner Up : Trophy, Holiday Program Voucher –
50% off on HighReach HOLIDAY PROGRAMMES
2nd Runner Up : Trophy, Holiday Program Voucher -
30% on HighReach HOLIDAY PROGRAMMES
- There will be only one set of winners for both of English and Filipino declamation entries .